Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 117*;

After my last post, someone left a comment that really made me think. First, I'll share the comment & then talk about my thoughts.

I've had a blog before and it failed epically. I've read through my old posts and reading your blog is like reading that blog. So I'm going to say what I wish someone had said to me in my last blog. I say this, not because I am trying to be mean, but because I want to help. If it's something that doesn't help you, then I really am sorry.

You CAN do this. You have the tools. You know what you have to do! You just need to get off your ass and do it. There are no more excuses. This is not easy, okay? No one said it was going to be easy. 2000 calories a day? You can DO 2000 calories a day. Shit, you can do 1500 calories a day. But whatever your pace is, you have to do it!

I know what it is like to be you. I WAS you. I sat there and made excuses to myself. I must've started over 1000 times. And nothing worked. And I gave up. And I'm back. I BROKE MY ANKLE because too much weight landed on it. I was so fat that I BROKE MY ANKLE! How can you NOT do this?

You weigh almost 300 pounds. That means type 2 diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, polycystic ovary syndrome, compromised pregnancy, dyslipidemia and other complications I just haven't researched yet. When obese people die, their families need to pay extra for a bigger coffin. I KNOW that people say that just losing weight will not make you feel better about yourself, but look at all the things that you are going to prevent.

Please, please, please do this for yourself. No one else will do it for you. Am I hungry sometimes? Sure. Do I want to eat ice cream and chips and Applebee's and everything else? GOD, of course I do. But you know what I want more? To have kids one day. To live long enough to see my grandchildren. To walk down the aisle in a beautiful wedding dress, not wishing to be thinner. To wear a bathing suit at the beach and enjoy myself. To be a better dancer. For a million reasons. You have to do this. You don't have a choice.

I am here for you. Everyone in blogworld is here for you. If you have questions, ask the people that have lost the weight. They know and they've been there. If you want to chew, type instead. Do research. This should be #1 on your list of priorities. This is your health we are talking about.

Anyway, I'm done. I'm just here to tell you that you can do this. WE can do this. I'm sorry if any of this offended you or scared you but I really hope it helped. You're a badass. You can do this.
Okay, first thought was ouch. I felt even worse after reading the comment then I already did posting the blog. I was already putting myself through some pretty extensive self punishment knowing that I SAY I want to accomplish things & don't & what kind of person that makes me. After reading the comment I had to walk away from the computer because my first response would of been to say "You don't know me or what I think & feel.. I already KNOW all of those things & I know it should be important" I felt judged. & I started to question the entirety of this whole journey. See, I've always been the type of person that would rather quit something then to fail at it. If I'm not even trying I can't fail. But after more thought I realized, in many ways she does know me.. not just from reading my blog over the last few months but because she herself has BEEN there. I don't want to set up any false goals that I may not stick to, so I'll go with this. I am going to start tracking again as best as I can. My tracker, tracks food, water & the like, I will also try to take as many photos of anything that goes into my mouth at all. I am in the process of setting up a detailed schedule of my life. With work, school, working out, the kids & quiet time for myself I need to plan or I feel disorganized. I am going to incorporate working out into my schedule & stick to it. I'm thinking I may try to wake up an hour before I need to get ready & get the kids up for work out time.. we will see. I will get it right eventually.

~erica♥

10 comments:

  1. You will do this! Hang in there and stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica - good for you to take the comment the way she meant it! It is so easy to be defensive, but she was coming from a good place. She even says over and over you can do it. WHICH YOU CAN! We are here and we want you to succeed! Get it girl!

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being honest and tough love are some of the BEST things that can be done for someone! Good for you!! Get back on this wagon girl! YOU CAN DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really powerful comment she left you. I'm sure everyone who will read that will learn from it.

    I think it's easy to walk away but it's harder to live with the regret of walking away.

    Good luck with giving it your best shot. If you have a shit day, make sure the next one isn't. I find it's good if you treat exercise (i.e. going to the gym) as an appointment. Try to stick to the time and don't make any plans which will mean you will avoid doing the workouts.

    I wish you all the best and i'm sure I can include everyone who follows you when I say that we will try our very best to support you along the way with advice, praise and constructive criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just like the commenter said, You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also think it is great that you took the tough love comment so well. Too often people who are trying to blog about their weight loss write posts and then get responses that they twist into something other than what it was intended to be. You CAN for sure do this. We all CAN. We are here for you on this journey and will be there for each other during the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows. Keep your head up girl and stick your plan and you will succeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is all well and good, except that emotional blackmail doesn't work to motivate people. Not a day goes by that fat people don't beat themselves up, live their fears of the worst, and decide to try and then fail. You do already know these things, and someone else giving you a rundown of your dismal future and difficult present is only echoing the voices that got you fat in the first place.

    This is a truth that has little value because it is not a plan of action. The "you can do it" mantra is a potential truth that also has little value. Other people telling you "you can do it" isn't what is important. You have to believe it, and no one can give you that but you, and only you know when you actually can do it.

    I've been where you are as well, and I'm still there to some extent, but I beat food addiction, food obsession, and have lost 150 lbs. so far (started around 380 and now am 226). I didn't do it by filling my mind with fearful thoughts or by being given pep talks by other people. I did it with a plan that suited me and by delving into the psychology of my problem (which was both about the damage done to me emotionally by people who treated me in various ways because I was fat and the way I regarded food). I'm not saying at all that my way is the right way for anyone else, but I am saying that what you have been told is not a useful truth. It's just a truth, and you already knew it anyway.

    You have to find what works for you, and I don't think that having your face rubbed in what you already knew is actually going to be of value in helping you find the path that gets you where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What she said was right- YOU CAN DO THIS, but we all do it at different paces. From what I can see, you have been trying. You haven't stopped blogging. It's hard at first. No one is perfect, nor will you ever be. But it does get easier. One success sparks another and so on. I do agree that attaching something of value to losing weight will really help you. I.E., being able to be there for your kids. Just don't give up and you'll succeed no matter how many times you fall down, as long as you get back up one more time- you'll succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you can do this
    it starts little by little changing things in your life
    and we all know change is hard
    so start small it will show on the scale trust me

    hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. Im using that comment for me self too. Because Im both of you too. I always give up...but not this time. I cant if I want to be happy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete